DOCUMENTS NEEDED TO BUY PROPERTY IN PORTUGAL
Your lawyer will help you with this and will keep hold of most documents but you will accumulate quite a lot of paperwork. File it safely somewhere and if in doubt, don’t throw away!
Things you need to have:
- Passport or ID (Bilhete de identidade/passaporte) from everyone involved in the purchase
- Fiscal Tax number (Número de contribuinte or NIF), obtained from the FINANÇAS (Tax Department) for each individual
Things your lawyer needs to have:
- Caderneta Predial (Tax/financial Registration) – from the “FINANÇAS” (Tax Department). This document shows the financial registration of the property and the rates and taxes payable by this property to the local council.
- Certidâo (Property registration certificate/Land Registry) – shows current registered owner, any debts on the property and area/plot size plus boundaries and owners of adjoining boundaries. This comes from the Land Registry (Conservatoria do Registo Predial)
- Licença de Habitabilidade (Habitation Licence) – required for all properties built post 1951. This shows the property has been built according to approved plans. Issued by the “Câmara Municipal” (Town Hall) – without this, no property can be sold.
- Ficha Técnica (Property Technical file) – properties built post 2004 must have this document. It lists all the details of the property construction process.
- Energy Certificate – all properties must have this to show they confirm to the energy board requirements. The seller must pay for this.
- Contrato de Promessa de Compra e Venda (Promissory Contract) – this outlines the duties of both parties and lists any conditions that must be fulfilled before exchange of contracts can be completed. This document must be correct before signing as items not included cannot be put in afterwards.
PLEASE NOTE: These notes are for guidance only and we cannot accept responsibility for any mistakes or misinformation. There is no substitute for professional legal advice prior to any transaction as the laws are constantly changing.