Documents needed to sell

Documents needed to sell your property in Portugal

Unless you purchased fairly recently, it is unlikely your lawyer will have all the documents required. These must be requested fresh and you will be given an authenticated copy while the original is kept on file.

Usually your lawyer does this for you, to save you the hassle, but you can save some money and do it yourself if you prefer:

This is what you need before listing with an agent:

Caderneta predial (Tax/financial Registration)

The “FINANÇAS” (Tax Department) holds this document which details the financial registration of the property and the rates and taxes payable by this property to the local council.

Certidâo (Property registration certificate/Land Registry)

You acquire this from the “Conservatoria do Registo Predial” (Land registry Office ). This tells you who is the current registered owner of a property and whether there are any outstanding loans/mortgages/debts on it.

It also gives facts and figures about the property – constructed area, plot size etc.   It should also have a site plan showing the boundaries of the plot and who owns those adjoining.

Licença de habitabilidade (Habitation license)

  • This is issued by the “Câmara Municipal” (Town Hall) – any property built after 1951 has to have one of these to prove that the property was built according to approved plans. No property can be sold without it.

You may already have …

  • Ficha técnica (Property Technical file) – if the property was built post 2004, this document is provided by the builder of the property and lists the details of the property construction; suppliers, materials used and all the technical data of the construction process.
  • Energy certificate – all properties old and new now need to have an Energy Certification confirming that the property conforms to the energy board requirements. It is up to you to obtain this certificate at your cost but we can quote for this if you wish.

Finally, why don’t you write a simple property description for your chosen agent, as who better to tell someone about the house you’re selling than you?

adminSBPortugalDocuments needed to sell