Portugal questions and answers


Here are some of the more common questions asked by potential buyers:

Q:   Do I need permission to buy a property in Portugal?
A:   If you are an EU National, this is not necessary, but if not, we can help you and suggest a local lawyer, working with them on your behalf.

Q:   Do I need to have a Fiscal Representative if I’m not living in Portugal?
A:   No – any non-residents who own a property in Portugal can have rates, bills and fiscal information sent to them where they live.

Q:   Should I use a Portuguese lawyer/solicitor?
A:   Portuguese lawyers are generally cheaper than their counterparts elsewhere and they have a better understanding of the Portuguese conveyance law and any local variations which may impact your proposed purchase.

They normally speak fluent English and some speak other languages.

Q:   Can I get a Portuguese mortgage?
A:   Yes you can, similar to the UK and Europe. You can normally borrow up to 70% of the bank valuation and interest rates vary due to personal status.

Q:   Can I make an offer?
A:   Unlike the UK, offers under the asking price are rarely accepted in Portugal.  Negotiation is not the norm, BUT if you wish to challenge the norm and give it a go, we will put it to the vendor on your behalf.

Q:   How do I transfer money to pay for the property in Euros?
A:   We can recommend a selection of Currency Transfer Specialists who offer competitive rates, sometimes more preferable than your own bank.

The fluctuations in the exchange rate between Sterling and the Euro can make a big difference to large amounts so it is better to seek a few quotes before committing.

Q:   Should I have the property surveyed?
A:   It’s always a good idea to undertake a survey.  If you’re asking for a mortgage, this will be done by the bank but they may not share the information with you.

Q:   Should I make a will covering my property in Portugal?
A:   Yes, this is a good idea.

Q:   What are the requirements if I want to live in Portugal permanently?
A:   It is best to get all the most recent information from the Portuguese Embassy or Consulate in your own country but here are some guidelines for Europe:

  • As a British citizen, you have the right to reside in Portugal and therefore share the same rights as a Portuguese citizen

As a permanent resident you must apply for a “Certificado de Residência” which can be obtained by providing the authorities with your passport and fiscal number (NIF) as well as evidence of income which supports you (and your family if applicable)

adminSBPortugalPortugal questions and answers